2023 marks our seventh year of operation for ResettleMe. As we reflect on our experiences since beginning this journey, we’ve compiled a list of our favorite reasons for loving our chosen profession as Senior Move Managers®:
1) The regular physical workouts we get while retrieving rarely used items from high shelves, crawling into the furthest recesses of cabinets and closets, loading and unloading our van with tools and supplies, and hauling packing materials in, around, and out of our clients’ homes;
2) The mental stimulation of non-stop problem solving, from scheduling appointments, staff and movers and preparing floor plans that accommodate those “must have” items, to packing oddly shaped fragile pieces and helping clients find misplaced possessions;
3) The gift of trust from our elderly clients as they welcome us into their homes, closets and drawers — leaning on us to help them sift through a lifetime of treasures and to handle tasks they regret they can no longer do for themselves;
4) The adrenaline and spirit of camaraderie as our amazing teams race the clock to build, fill, empty, and break down stacks of boxes on our mission to transform a new residence from empty and strange to welcoming and familiar;
5) The humbling opportunity to learn from the uniquely touching, stubborn, brave, funny, gracious and heart-breaking ways in which our clients and their families cope with losses, setbacks and shifting roles common to the aging process;
6) The hugs and happy tears of clients who have long doubted their ability to make a successful move, during the very moment in which they realize that they’ve just done it;
7) The incredible wisdom and generosity of our family of kindred spirits in the National Association of Senior Move Managers who continue to mentor, encourage, and educate us; and
8) The pleasure of working with our trusted circle of local partners (movers, senior community staff, and related service providers) who share our passion for delivering exceptional customer service.
We look forward to many more years engaged in this fulfilling work!